DIY Aquaponics Training & Programs
Learn to grow your own food, ensure your food security, and protect the environment with our aquaponics training programs
Fusion Farms is going a step further than just supplying Puerto Rico with a sustainable, local source of fresh produce…we’re teaching you how to do it yourself! We are currently designing several curriculums for training programs in starting, maintaining, and reaping the rewards of your own aquaponics farms, whether its for your home, your community, or a business you want to get up and running. Our aquaponics training courses and programs will provide adults and kids of all ages and levels of experience with the insights, knowledge, and skills necessary to farm their own food, thereby:
- Ensuring their food security
- Encouraging local economy
- Reducing reliance on imported food
- Eliminating food miles and, therefore, benefitting the environment
Why a home aquaponics system is the most important thing you can do for your family, community, and the environment
Starting a home aquaponics system is one of the most important things you can do for your family, community, and environment, particularly in times of crisis when food may prove to be scarce. Producing your own source of fresh, nutritious, and additive-free leafy greens, vegetables, herbs, and even fish means that no matter what goes on out there – with the climate, the economy, the government, or even disease pandemics, as we have learned with COVID-19 – you will continue to have a reliable food source at home.
Once your aquaponics system is set up, the only costs involved are the electricity required to run it, or the gas it costs to fuel the generator.
What you can expect to learn
- All about fish: how to create a productive and healthy environment for your fish population, which, in turn, will be fueling your food growth!
- Farm Management: the daily, monthly, and yearly responsibilities involved in running a successful, productive home, community, or commercial aquaponics farm, from start-up cycling to harvesting.
- Plants and Pests: how to identify, treat, and deal with common pests and diseases, and how to optimize the health of the environment you create for your fish and your plants so that the food you harvest is safe and nutritious.
- System Design and Components: the building blocks for an efficient, safe, and productive aquaponics system, including the latest technology and equipment, as well as farm layout.
- Nutrition and Food: Hand-in-hand with growing your own food comes an understanding of how to nourish your plants so that they can nourish you. We’ll also cover food safety and hygiene, which are fundamental for health!
- The Growing Environment: how to manage heat, cold, light, humidity, and other variables to ensure optimal energy efficiency, food safety, and farm output.
We will also be offering periodic issue-specific training courses, like food safety during a virus crisis, among others.
Is this training for you?
Fusion Farms aims to create a nurturing and educational space where individuals of all ages can learn about nutrition and growing the food they need to support a healthy lifestyle and ensure their food security in the future.
People are fundamentally passionate about the quality of their food, health, communities, and the planet; they just need the know-how to begin and make a success of their efforts! Fusion Farms will offer both introductory and advanced training programs that are specifically tailored to people with a variety of agendas:
- Puerto Rican farmers and individuals wanting to upgrade their skills and gain experience (and potentially employment) at working in an indoor, aquaponics farm.
- Schools (elementary to high schools) wanting to introduce their students to agriculture and aquaculture at home.
- Families and community leaders wishing to build their own aquaponic systems and farms so that they can cater in part or in full for their family’s/community’s own food needs.
- Colleges and universities wanting to assist their students with practical farming and aquaponic experience via internships.
- Entrepreneurial individuals who aspire to become aquaponics experts and start their own commercial aquaponics farms.
We are also designing our courses for both online format and in-person training so that, whether you live on Puerto Rico or anywhere else in the world, you can benefit from world-class DIY aquaponics training.
Scholarships and Internships
Fusion Farms is also in the planning phases with a few tertiary academic institutions, including the University of Puerto Rico – Mayagüez, to set up scholarships for students and graduates who want to attend our aquaponics training courses but who can’t afford the tuition or travel required. And for students wanting hands-on training in running a state-of-the-art aquaponics farm, we will be opening up several internship positions.
Interested in our learning opportunities?
Please contact us at email@example.com if you’re interested in
- Applying for a Fusion Farms scholarship or internship,
- Volunteering at Fusion Farms,
- Collaborating with us on an educational project,
- Finding out more about the educational opportunities we have on the horizon…