Donate to Fusion Farms
Join the movement towards a food sovereign and economically stronger Puerto Rico
Fusion Farms is a business and a for-profit entity. But we are in the rare and privileged position to be leveraging a smart and profitable business model to bring enormous relief to the island of Puerto Rico, which currently imports a staggering 90% of its fresh food needs. Why donate to us?
Free aquaponics training for Puerto Rico
“Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.”
Fusion Farms is currently forming an educational foundation, which will provide free resources to schools, universities, non-profits, NGO’s, and other charitable organizations, who can benefit from learning about sustainable agriculture and all the wonderful state-of-the-art techniques and technologies we employ on our farms.
Our training courses, hands-on programs, and internships will provide school kids, scholars, and adults of all ages and levels of experience with the insights, knowledge, and skills necessary to farm their own food, thereby:
- Ensuring their food security
- Encouraging local economy
- Reducing reliance on imported food
- Eliminating food miles and, therefore, benefitting the environment
Learn more about our upcoming educational courses and training programs
But we need your help…
These educational courses will be the vehicle through which our data and results collected from our vertical farm will be packaged and put into meaningful reports and training. And so, we have established a 501(c)3 non-profit charity intended to fund specific aspects of the data collection and plant research that will ultimately become translated into our free educational training programs.
If you would like to lend your weight behind our educational cause, you can make a tax-deductible donation here:
About our organization
Fusion Farms builds and manages modern, sustainable, and hurricane-protected indoor aquaponics farming solutions for Puerto Rico, and for any community facing environmental, climate, and economic challenges. Our first farm is based in beautiful Mayagüez in western Puerto Rico, in an 11,500 square foot concrete building. Within the safe and strong confines of our building, we have built a vertical indoor aquaponics farm that is powered by renewable energy and protected from outside influences, including tropical storms, harmful microbes, temperature extremes, and the island’s unreliable power grid.
Fusion Farms grows a year-round, reliable, and prolific harvest of fresh leafy greens, herbs, vegetables, fruits, and fish that will guide Puerto Rico towards a food sovereign future.
The Fusion Farms difference
- We are the first indoor vertical aquaponic farm in Puerto Rico.
- We draw upon the vast experience and expertise of a global team of agriculture, aquaponics, and aquaculture experts. Furthermore, all of our staff is USDA and GMP certified.
- Our concrete, indoor farm facility has successfully withstood 50 hurricane seasons, including the ravages of category five Hurricane Maria in 2017.
- Our farm design is carefully climate controlled and employs bio-security measures to keep pests, molds, fungus, diseases, and harmful pathogens out, which ensures optimal farm productivity and food safety.
- We can grow virtually anything in our facility, to order. We maintain a seed library of hundreds of different varieties of leafy greens, vegetables, and fruits, while the aquaculture portion of the farm provides a source of fresh, delicious fish protein.
- Our produce is 100% organic, non-GMO, and pesticide, hormone, and additive free. In other words: as nature intended!
- Our produce is harvested on the same day it is sold, making it three weeks fresher than most of the food Puerto Rico imports, and therefore, much tastier, healthier, and more nutritious.
- We are 100% off-grid, using solar panels and battery backup to keep our system running. We can even at times sell energy back to the grid, thereby keeping our energy costs low.
- Because our looped system recycles water between the fish tanks and our grow rack systems, we use a mere 10th of the water that traditional agriculture uses. We have also installed rainwater harvest tanks so we can operate independently of the municipal water supply.
- Ever in pursuit of perfection, we are fastidious data collectors and analysts that painstakingly monitor and regulate every aspect of our indoor aquaponic farm system.
- We are creating jobs for Puerto Ricans – up to a dozen with our pilot facility and potentially hundreds, if not thousands with our plans for expansion.
- We work closely with the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez, the University of Arizona, Arizona State University, and Santa Fe Community College in New Mexico to provide internships and opportunities for hand-on, practical experience to agriculture students.
- Our community space provides a learning environment for all interested individuals, including students, farmers, researchers, and tourists.
- We are uniquely positioned to scale up or down and can easily shift our produce selection based on demand.
We’d love to hear from you!
For more information about who we are, what we do, and how you can join our movement towards a happier, healthier, and stronger Puerto Rico, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1-787-220-4505.