Available Position: Lead Grower
Who we are:
Fusion Farms is a sustainable food production start-up located in Mayagüez, Puerto Rico. We will be producing tilapia fish, leafy greens, and microgreens to distribute to grocers, restaurants, and retailers throughout Puerto Rico and eventually elsewhere. Fusion Farms is setting the standard for the way Puerto Rico produces food in the future in hurricane-protected CEA facilities. Our aim is nothing less than to inspire a generation of better farming, and a cleaner, safer way of eating.
What we’re looking for:
A Lead Grower to lead horticulture operations at our facility in Mayagüez, western Puerto Rico. In this role, you will be working hands-on with plants daily, ensuring that they are of the highest quality and monitoring for any issues such as disease, insects, mold, etc. You will work diligently with the operations team to maintain food safety standards. As the Lead Grower, you will champion and execute research and development projects to bring innovation and new practices to our operation. If you enjoy pioneering change and are passionate about sustainable farming, Fusion Farms is for you.
What we offer:
Fusion Farms offers a work environment that promotes new ideas and an entrepreneurial mindset. We want our employees to feel empowered and to contribute to the success of our organization by continuously bringing new ideas, strategies, and knowledge to our team. We offer competitive compensation, paid time off, and an excellent opportunity to grow in your career.
What you will be doing:
- Overseeing horticulture operations
- Assess crops daily to identify any disease, insect problems, or abnormalities
- Diagnose plant diseases and disorders
- Communicate with production personnel to understand production conditions and practices to accurately diagnose problems
- Manage integrated pest management protocols and further develop and implement new protocols as necessary
- Plan and conduct ongoing variety trials related to all aspects of current produce operations to improve product quality, improve product readiness, and reduce production costs
- Conduct trials according to generally accepted research protocols
- Provide expertise and training to the Production Department in the form of teaching sessions and materials
- Obtain and maintain applicable certifications in HACCP, SQF practices, and quality control techniques
- Manage process of obtaining USDA Certified Organic designation and maintain certification going forward
- Manage R & D (Research & Deployment) Program
- Manage R & D program to launch new products in a timely and cost-effective manner consistent with established brand guidelines
- Evaluate and test multiple growing substrates and aquaponic grow methodologies to determine which is most viable for each product line
- Research and test both produce and non-food plants to determine the efficacy of growing in an aquaponic environment
This job might be for you if you have:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in biology, chemistry or plant science. Master’s degree ideal
- 3 to 5 Years’ hands-on horticulture experience, preferably in a hydroponic setting
- Previous management / supervisory experience
- Knowledge and ability to conduct accurate research trials using basic experimental design and statistical analysis
- Enjoy working with minimal supervision in an entrepreneurial/start-up environment
The fine print:
Fusion Farms does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity. Fusion Farms is proud to be a drug-free workplace. Applicants for this position must be legally authorized to work in Puerto Rico. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire.
We’d love to hear from you!
If you like the look of the position and feel that you are a good fit for Fusion Farms, please email your résumé, cover letter, and any positive references you might have to firstname.lastname@example.org.